Sunday, July 1, 2007

Issues: Global Climate Change

To clear something up right away, Global Warming is a very misleading term that gives the wrong impression. I don't know anybody who wouldn't mind a few extra degrees in the winter or whats a few more once you reach 90? But a temperature increase is not the only or perhaps most devastating of the effects of Global Climate Change. Some areas may actually decrease in temperature while others will recieve drastic changes in precipitation or wind strength or other natural disasters. This will cause untold disasters to people and animals all over the world.

My biggest question for the folks who chose to believe that Global Climate Change is not real is this: Even if it isn't, what harm can come from being environmentally friendly? Don't give me economy - our economy will just change. And hell who couldn't use a little less foreign oil (and wars fought in it's name)? I have chosen to make some personal changes to my life that allow me to contribute to this adjustment and NEWSFLASH - it is not hard and is maybe even a little enjoyable to know that you are doing a little bit to help our planet. And I hope, with more money, to do more - buy a hybrid, become vegan (I'm currently a vegetarian), buy new, environmentally friendly appliances. And if you are currently able to afford these things - what are you waiting for?

None of these other issues are of any importance if we have no world to live in. So get started.

No comments: